One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A council or assembly.
- ‘It is also our policy at the parishad to take art closer to the common man.’
- ‘They said they were here on the invitation of the Institute of Social Sciences, Delhi, and would study the three-tier local bodies system, including Panchayti Raj, block samitis and zila parishads.’
- ‘Mr Harish Gupta, president of the parishad, exhorted the gathering to educate the new generation about ancient Indian values and culture.’
- ‘The country is divided into four divisions, twenty districts, subdistricts, union parishads, and villages.’
- ‘But it does the zilla parishad chief no harm locally.’
From Sanskrit, from pari ‘around’ + sad- ‘sit’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.