One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Denoting or involving the theories and methods of the Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto (1848–1923), especially a formula used to express the income distribution of a society.
- ‘If a state of affairs is not Pareto efficient, then society is missing an opportunity costlessly to satisfy some people's preferences better.’
- ‘This statement misrepresents the content of these chapters, which include log-linear regressions, bounded Pareto distributions, and Green's function of the standard diffusion equation.’
- ‘Finally, we argue that if inter-State factor mobility is sufficiently high, as we believe is the case in Australia, then our reform proposal passes the Pareto test that no one is made worse off.’
- ‘Whether Wicksell even perceived taxation as an issue of Pareto efficiency is questionable.’
- ‘Whereas the standard approaches are focused on minimizing social costs or facilitating a Pareto optimum, the approach described here is focused on minimizing interpersonal conflict.’
- ‘The logical extension is that if individuals entered into agreements voluntarily, then the criterion for evaluation should be unanimous agreement (or Pareto efficiency).’
- ‘Closer to reality than pure economy, Pareto positions applied political economy.’
- ‘Therefore, the area EFG can be regarded both as the deadweight loss to society due to a lack of inter-regional migration, and the Pareto efficiency gain to society associated with inter-regional migration.’
- ‘To some neoclassical economists, the Pareto criterion is the unchallengeable linchpin of welfare economics.’
- ‘Within the set of utilitarian welfare functions was the Pareto welfare function, which demands that a policy at least not reduce the utility of anyone.’
- ‘Buchanan argued that if a public good can be supplied in infra-marginal units, then with expenditure-tax pairings and bargaining within the group, any proposal adopted results in movement toward the Pareto frontier.’
- ‘The method of constructing a Pareto chart involves the following steps.’
- ‘Although Musgrave discussed Wicksell in an earlier article, he did not forge the link between Wicksell and the central element that was defining economics at the time - Pareto efficiency.’
- ‘In this case the game thus has the familiar outcome, i.e., the Pareto inferior Nash equilibrium (D, D).’
- ‘Champions of unrestricted free-market trade, meanwhile, might bear in mind that this is the very condition that generates an unequal Pareto distribution in the first place.’
- ‘If we already are at a Pareto optimum, I am not convinced that coaxing even more young people away from low-skilled labor, the military, trade apprenticeships, or general slacking into college would do much for their spiritual resources.’
- ‘By adding the asset, equilibrium jumps to the Pareto frontier, even though there are many other missing asset markets that have not been added.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.