An abnormal sensation, typically tingling or pricking (“pins and needles”), caused chiefly by pressure on or damage to peripheral nerves.
tingle, tingling sensation, tingling, prickling sensation, chill, thrill, itching, creeping sensation, gooseflesh, goose pimples, pins and needlesView synonyms
- ‘Malignant peripheral nerve tumors that arise from major nerves typically give rise to a striking constellation of sensory and motor symptoms, including projected pain, paresthesias, and weakness.’
- ‘In patients with carpal tunnel syndrome, pain and paresthesias may radiate to the forearm, elbow, and shoulder.’
- ‘Other symptoms of polycythemia vera include headaches, transient neurologic or ocular complaints, and paresthesias.’
- ‘Neurapraxia of the brachial plexus or cervical nerve roots, often called a stinger or burner, causes pain and paresthesia in a single upper extremity, usually radiating from the neck into the shoulder, arm, or hand.’
- ‘Patients with arthritis of the tarsal tunnel may complain of a burning sensation, pain, and paresthesias over the distribution of the posterior tibial nerve and its branches that worsen with weight bearing.’
Late 19th century: from para- alongside, irregular + Greek aisthēsis sensation + -ia.