One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
incidentally, by the way, by the by, by the bye, in passing, en passant, by way of explanation, in parenthesisView synonyms
- ‘In this collection of old, new, and revised essays, he mentions gender considerations or feminism and feminist scholarship only parenthetically and intermittently.’
- ‘As the 1904 first edition is rare and expensive, subsequent references, given parenthetically in the text, indicate chapter numbers and the pagination of the Signet Classic paperback edition which reprints an early edition.’
- ‘In restating his point ‘yet more clearly’, Aristotle notes parenthetically another important aspect of his theory of substance.’
- ‘This was clearly not my primary concern and was mentioned only parenthetically in the last paragraph of my letter.’
- ‘The relative importance values are shown parenthetically in Table 4.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.