One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Administered or occurring elsewhere in the body than the mouth and alimentary canal.‘parenteral nutrition’Often contrasted with enteral
- ‘Total parenteral nutrition was administered preoperatively, and complications were monitored.’
- ‘In a survey of the field nine years ago I was optimistic and foolhardy enough to believe that soon many of the parenteral vaccines would be administered via alternative routes.’
- ‘The available clinical evidence leans heavily on parenteral therapy of inpatients with pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Central venous catheters, often used to deliver parenteral nutrition to preterm infants, can act as a nidus for infection.’
- ‘This is particularly true for DNA vaccines, combination vaccines, vectored vaccines, and vaccines administered in a parenteral depot fashion.’
Early 20th century: from para- ‘beside’ + Greek enteron ‘intestine’ + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.