Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gland next to the thyroid that secretes a hormone (parathyroid hormone) that regulates calcium levels in a person's body.
- ‘In practice, however, endocrine pathology has been traditionally more narrowly defined as the subspecialty that deals with the major endocrine organs, such as the thyroid, parathyroids, pancreas, and adrenal glands.’
- ‘Within the neck, there are neck muscles, arteries, veins, lymph glands, thyroid gland, parathyroid gland, oesophagus, larynx and trachea.’
- ‘The major glands that make up the human endocrine system are the hypothalamus, pituitary, thyroid, parathyroids, adrenals, pineal body, and the reproductive glands, which include the ovaries and testes.’
- ‘The larynx, thyroid, and parathyroid glands were also encased by the sclerotic, yellow tissue.’
- ‘When the human body is deficient in vitamin D because of reduced dietary intake or inadequate exposure to sunlight, the parathyroid hormone mobilizes calcium from its stores in the skeleton to restore calcium balance in the blood.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.