A highly toxic synthetic compound containing phosphorus and sulfur, used as an agricultural insecticide.
- ‘In India, cases of pesticide poisoning have been reported ever since 1953, when 102 persons died of ethyl parathion, the first insecticide to be introduced in the country.’
- ‘These pesticides include the insecticides methyl parathion, lindane and DDT.’
- ‘Some prominent examples are the insecticides parathion, fenitrothion, malathion, and phosphamidon.’
- ‘The agency has already taken the needed action limiting methyl parathion and chlorpyrifos.’
- ‘The organophosphate type of insecticides (examples parathion and malathion) vary greatly in their toxicity and hazard to man.’
1940s: from para- + thio- + -on.