Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the part of the automatic nervous system that counterbalances the action of the sympathetic nerves. It consists of nerves arising from the brain and the lower end of the spinal cord and supplying the internal organs, blood vessels, and glands.
- ‘In autonomic disease, the sympathetic, parasympathetic, and enteric nerves are affected.’
- ‘The toxin also inhibits release of acetylcholine in all parasympathetic and cholinergic postganglionic sympathetic neurones.’
- ‘So the heart rate is controlled by the balance between the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems' activity.’
- ‘Postganglionic parasympathetic nerves mediate both cholinergic contractions and nonadrenergic, noncholinergic relaxations of smooth muscle in the airway.’
- ‘The reflexes are mediated by the sympathetic or parasympathetic nerves of the autonomic nervous system, in response to information reaching the central nervous system from a variety of receptors in the organs and tissues.’
Early 20th century: from para- alongside + sympathetic, because some of these nerves run alongside sympathetic nerves.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.