Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or expressed in terms of a parameter or parameters.
- ‘We've made dramatic changes to the skeletal system, which allows for full parametric blending of multiple layers of animation.’
- ‘In designing the luminaires, the students used parametric surface modeling to produce contours, patterns, and templates.’
- ‘A parametric method successfully characterizes deformations, rotations, and displacements of single cells or cell populations and their correlations.’
- ‘For several decades now, designers have relied on the classic design tree or parametric modeling approach.’
- ‘The parameters used in the parametric bootstrap simulations were the phylogenetic tree generated from the aligned protein sequences and a residue substitution matrix.’
- 1.1Statistics Assuming the value of a parameter for the purpose of analysis.
- ‘Variables were log 10 transformed as appropriate to improve fit to a normal distribution for parametric statistical analyses.’
- ‘The present study employs parametric analysis to test for the ‘daylight saving effect’ market anomaly in the Australian stock market.’
- ‘Statistical analysis was performed using parametric and nonparametric tests, depending on whether the data distribution could be assumed to be gaussian or not.’
- ‘Statistical analysis was performed using parametric ANOVAs after normality was confirmed by Shapiro-Wilk test.’
- ‘Most statistical analyses performed were parametric (ANOVAs and correlations).’
- 1.2Electronics Relating to or denoting a process in which amplification or frequency conversion is obtained using a device modulated by a pumping frequency, which enables power to be transferred from the pumping frequency to the signal.
- ‘Synchronized double pumping, and therefore careful timing, is very critical in this device because the optical parametric gain has no storage time, unlike conventional laser-gain media.’
- ‘One part of the amplifier output was used to pump an optical parametric amplifier for generation of the 490 nm pump pulses.’
- ‘Sound Forge software was used to filter sounds with a low pass and parametric filter to increase the gain of the 20 Hz signal and reduce other frequencies containing background noise.’
- ‘The other part is used to pump an optical parametric amplifier, which provides excitation in a broad spectral range.’
- ‘An optical parametric amplifier allowed them to try the experiment at different wavelengths.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.