One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or expressed in terms of a parameter or parameters.
- ‘The parameters used in the parametric bootstrap simulations were the phylogenetic tree generated from the aligned protein sequences and a residue substitution matrix.’
- ‘In designing the luminaires, the students used parametric surface modeling to produce contours, patterns, and templates.’
- ‘For several decades now, designers have relied on the classic design tree or parametric modeling approach.’
- ‘We've made dramatic changes to the skeletal system, which allows for full parametric blending of multiple layers of animation.’
- ‘A parametric method successfully characterizes deformations, rotations, and displacements of single cells or cell populations and their correlations.’
- 1.1Statistics Assuming the value of a parameter for the purpose of analysis.
- ‘Variables were log 10 transformed as appropriate to improve fit to a normal distribution for parametric statistical analyses.’
- ‘Statistical analysis was performed using parametric ANOVAs after normality was confirmed by Shapiro-Wilk test.’
- ‘The present study employs parametric analysis to test for the ‘daylight saving effect’ market anomaly in the Australian stock market.’
- ‘Statistical analysis was performed using parametric and nonparametric tests, depending on whether the data distribution could be assumed to be gaussian or not.’
- ‘Most statistical analyses performed were parametric (ANOVAs and correlations).’
- 1.2Electronics Relating to or denoting a process in which amplification or frequency conversion is obtained using a device modulated by a pumping frequency, which enables power to be transferred from the pumping frequency to the signal.
- ‘An optical parametric amplifier allowed them to try the experiment at different wavelengths.’
- ‘Sound Forge software was used to filter sounds with a low pass and parametric filter to increase the gain of the 20 Hz signal and reduce other frequencies containing background noise.’
- ‘Synchronized double pumping, and therefore careful timing, is very critical in this device because the optical parametric gain has no storage time, unlike conventional laser-gain media.’
- ‘The other part is used to pump an optical parametric amplifier, which provides excitation in a broad spectral range.’
- ‘One part of the amplifier output was used to pump an optical parametric amplifier for generation of the 490 nm pump pulses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.