One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting paralanguage or the nonlexical elements of communication by speech.
- ‘A transcript was used rather than an audiotaped conversation so as to provide no paralinguistic or vocalic cues regarding the nature of the ambiguous evaluative comments.’
- ‘I agree with his dissection of McClellan's delivery, and I think that all of the paralinguistic cues may have informed the White House stenographer's interpretation of McClellan's interjection.’
- ‘Although these studies highlight the importance of the voice in the seductive interaction, the data about the paralinguistic features are quantitatively limited and qualitatively restricted to a perceptual analysis only.’
- ‘From a practical standpoint, it is impossible to capture nonverbal and paralinguistic cues from early presidents' speeches.’
- ‘Video-clips of instructors were used so that perceivers would have access to paralinguistic information, which is presumably important in altruist-detection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.