Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sport in which a wide canopy resembling a parachute is attached to a person's body by a harness in order to allow them to glide through the air after jumping from or being lifted to a height.
- ‘In a one-day taster of paragliding with Active Edge, I manage to achieve several exhilarating flights, but not without some thorough grounding first.’
- ‘The sports he loved - skiing and paragliding as well as kayaking - were high-risk, but he pursued them in a way that was very safe.’
- ‘Qualified in parasailing and paragliding, Rao has more than 350 skydives in different parts of the country to his credit.’
- ‘With the addition of parachutes, the sport of paragliding was born, giving gliders not only safety but also grace.’
- ‘Though I was going to save bungee jumping, canyoning and the rest of the wild stuff for when I wasn't playing at being an Edwardian vicar, I had decided that paragliding was a must.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.