One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in some religions) heaven as the ultimate abode of the just.
heaven, the kingdom of heaven, the promised land, the heavenly kingdom, the city of god, the celestial city, the abode of god, the abode of the saints, zion, abraham's bosomView synonyms
- ‘This direct experience of joy and love for all things is the paradise or heaven of all the religions.’
- ‘To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’
- ‘But now Christ has died and risen again - to open for believers the door into the paradise of heaven.’
- ‘At the same time, Buddhas have the power to manifest themselves in a sublime celestial form in splendid paradises where they teach the doctrine surrounded by hosts of Bodhisattvas and supernatural beings.’
- ‘Live a good life according to God and you'll go to a form of paradise, live a sinful life and you'll go to a form of torture.’
- 1.1 The abode of Adam and Eve before the Fall in the biblical account of the Creation; the Garden of Eden.
the garden of eden, edenView synonyms
- ‘I shall never experience Nirvana: Paradise; or the Garden of Eden; name it how you will.’
- ‘No where in the Bible or Torah does it say that the Garden of Eden was destroyed after the Banishment from Paradise.’
- ‘It took only one sin for Adam and Eve to be put out of Paradise.’
- 1.2 An ideal or idyllic place or state.‘the surrounding countryside is a walker's paradise’‘my idea of paradise is to relax on the seafront’
utopia, fairyland, shangri-la, heaven, idyll, nirvanabliss, heaven, ecstasy, rapture, delight, joy, happiness, nirvana, seventh heaven, heaven on earthView synonyms
- ‘Legitimate businesses and banks should be begging governments to get rid of tax havens and so-called fiscal paradises like the Caymans, Gibraltar, etc.’
- ‘He stays fit by playing tennis or working out in the Dusit's gymnasium, and would like to try golf at some stage, Thailand being one of the world's golf paradises.’
- ‘Of course, modern Canadian cruises aren't like Mexican ones where you go to island paradises.’
- ‘His naivety was so deep that he was able to create a paradise of enchanted magic.’
- ‘Most were small and green, and I could almost imagine the tropical paradises.’
Middle English: from Old French paradis, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek paradeisos ‘royal (enclosed) park’, from Avestan pairidaēza ‘enclosure, park’.
A community in southeastern Nevada, south of Las Vegas; population 186,070 (2000).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.