Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Of the nature of a paradigm or model.‘they offer this database as a paradigmatic example’
- ‘The classical theatre-temple as paradigmatic architectural work crystallises the nature of chora and the labyrinth as a condensed symbol of human life.’
- ‘If prediction and explanation are paradigmatic of scientific understanding, it appears that agent causation neither contributes to nor detracts from such understanding.’
- ‘There appears to be little or no difference or conflict between paradigmatic approaches, which suggests that the emerging paradigm for social computing is rather homogenous.’
- ‘I think this is a kind of paradigmatic conflict in Christian thought between Augustine's notion of the sovereignty of God, which is irresistible, and all sufficient for salvation.’
- ‘The three paradigmatic patterns shown in Fig.4 represent the different types of response observed following a treatment with exogenous ethylene.’
2Of or denoting the relationship between a set of linguistic items that form mutually exclusive choices in particular syntactic roles.Contrasted with syntagmatic
most typical, most characteristic, representative, standard, conventional, classic, model, exemplary, quintessential, prime, textbook, copybookView synonyms
- ‘On the lexical level, paradigmatic contrasts indicate which words are likely to belong to the same word class (part of speech): cat, dog, parrot in the diagram are all nouns, sat, slept, perched are all verbs.’
- ‘This occurrence of zero anaphors is much more widespread than that observed in either an English-style, paradigmatic, non-pro-drop language or an Italian-style, paradigmatic, pro-drop language.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.