Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions.
- ‘The internet provides a paradigm shift in thinking regarding communication and medical knowledge.’
- ‘Within twenty years a fundamental paradigm shift had occurred in the ways in which informed observers discussed human existence.’
- ‘Second, it takes a paradigm shift to transition from traditional group insurance to a health and welfare trust.’
- ‘A paradigm shift in the fields of art, entertainment and publishing is taking place.’
- ‘The Joburg 2030 strategy marks an important paradigm shift in our approach to planning.’
1970s: term used in the writings of Thomas S. Kuhn (1922–96), philosopher of science.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.