One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where troops gather for parade.
- ‘As families were reunited on a chilly parade ground, the Black Watch's commanding officer paid tribute to a regiment that may be returning from action for the last time.’
- ‘Those amused by the characteristically shrieked orders given on the parade ground should remember that these were once given amid the roar of musketry and artillery: thus the piercing tone, usually accompanied by hand signals.’
- ‘Everyone turned and saluted the ensign flying over the parade ground.’
- ‘The sound of the bugle is often heard as the sound of the retreat, originating from the completion of the soldiers' roll call at the parade ground.’
- ‘Capt Clinton Thomas took the salute on the main parade ground, and was joined by Brig. Peter Ball.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.