Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of compounds used as preservatives in pharmaceutical and cosmetic products and in the food industry.
- ‘Paraben is known to play a role in the development of breast cancer, and is found in cosmetics like deodorants, body sprays and shampoos.’
- ‘I have done a bit of homespun research of my own into this group of compounds, of which there are five: butyl, ethyl, isobutyl, methyl and propyl paraben.’
- ‘The family's common names follow the standard alkane hydrocarbon sequence: methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, etc.’
- ‘Twenty breast tumours have been found to contain high concentrations of paraben, a chemical that mimics estrogen in the body.’
- ‘She also reported that, in one study, a paraben was injected under the skin and was found to have an " oestrogenic response on uterine tissues ".’
1950s: from para- + ( hydroxy)ben(zoic).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.