One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
What is normal or expected in any given circumstances.‘given the high standards of the food, the prices seem par for the course’
normal, typical, standard, usual, predictable, what one would expect, only to be expectedView synonyms
- ‘Didn't get to see everyone I'd hoped to, but that's par for the course.’
- ‘To be told you've won a digital camera or mountain bike or some such, whilst wondering what the catch is, is about par for the course.’
- ‘Now 5,000 patients die every year because of hospital-bred infections and this is now seen as par for the course.’
- ‘Getting the odd whistle or rude comment is par for the course.’
- ‘Bizarre conversations with taxi drivers are par for the course in Dublin, but this one took the biscuit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.