One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, raised, solid pimple or swelling, often forming part of a rash on the skin and typically inflamed but not producing pus.
pimple, pustule, blemish, blackhead, boil, swelling, eruption, wen, styView synonyms
- ‘Further detailed physical examination revealed a flesh-colored papule in the nail bed of the third toe of the left foot, consistent with an ungual fibroma.’
- ‘In patients with the malar rash of systemic lupus erythematosus, papules may be present, but pustules are rare.’
- ‘Later, patients develop lid edema, painful conjunctivitis with scleral injection, chemosis and small yellowish conjunctival ulcers or papules.’
- ‘According to the committee, the primary features of rosacea are flushing, nontransient erythema, papules and pustules, and telangiectases, all in the central part of the face.’
- ‘Tinea capitis often presents with multiple hairs broken off at the scalp level (or a few millimeters above) and scale, papules, or pustules.’
Early 18th century: from Latin papula.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.