Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A powdered spice with a deep orange-red color and a mildly pungent flavor, made from the dried and ground fruits of certain varieties of pepper.
- ‘The mushroom dish was superb, with three mushroom types in a tangy sauce made by ‘sauce specialist’ Yves with salt, pepper, paprika and parsley as the main ingredients.’
- ‘We also ordered the pinchitos morunos for €6.50, but the spicy pork in paprika and cumin was overcooked and tough.’
- ‘Generally, sweet peppers, paprika, and garlic are favourite flavourings for pork in Spain and Portugal.’
- ‘To make beer batter, whisk together the beer, flour, paprika and garlic until well blended.’
- ‘Foods high in beta-carotene include yellow-orange vegetables such as carrots, yams, squash, pumpkin, paprika, cayenne pepper and turnips.’
- ‘To make the curry powder, combine the ground coriander, cumin, fenugreek, pepper, ginger, paprika and turmeric and mix well.’
- ‘In a food processor, combine the peppers, garlic and bread with the tomato, tomato purée, ground almonds, paprika, chilli, sea salt and pepper and whiz to a rough paste.’
- ‘For the sardines, in a large bowl, whisk together the cumin, paprika, white pepper, garlic, oregano, and vinegar.’
- ‘Serve with the yoghurt, scattered with paprika, some lemon wedges and a green salad.’
- ‘For a milder flavour replace chilli powder with ground paprika.’
- ‘The rack of lamb was crusted with bay leaf and paprika, and expertly sliced at the table in the classic Continental style.’
- ‘Galicians specialize in trencherman food: suckling pig, grilled skate, pulpy octopus speckled with sea salt and paprika.’
- ‘This Hungarian version is one of the more interesting chicken stews in the world, with the typically Magyar ingredients of onion, sweet peppers and paprika.’
- ‘Most barbecue sauces are tomato-based and encompass a myriad of spices such as chili powder, paprika, and cumin.’
- ‘The sauce was spread like frosting over all, then sprinkled with paprika and dried parsley.’
- 1.1A deep orange-red color like that of paprika.
- ‘I painted the kitchen Paprika and am so delighted with the color, the room came alive.’
- ‘Im using Patons Classic Merino Wool, as called for in the pattern in paprika.’
Late 19th century: from Hungarian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.