Any of a group of DNA viruses that cause the formation of papillomas or warts.
- ‘Common, plantar, or flat warts are cutaneous manifestations of the human papillomavirus.’
- ‘Her Papanicolaou test revealed a lowgrade squamous intraepithelial lesion suggestive of human papillomavirus, with subsequent biopsy confirmation.’
- ‘Genital warts are caused by certain types of the human papillomavirus (HPV).’
- ‘All borderline or mildly dyskaryotic smear samples were tested for human papillomavirus.’
- ‘Nearly every woman who contracts cancer of the cervix is also infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.