One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Routine work involving written documents such as forms, records, or letters.‘I need to catch up on some paperwork’
official procedure, rule, regulation, convention, ritual, custom, matter of form, formal gestureView synonyms
- ‘Never have I had such a mountain of paperwork to clear before Christmas.’
- ‘A high workload and masses of paperwork have been blamed for scores of dentists going private over the last decade.’
- ‘The whole scheme is designed to keep paperwork and bureaucracy to a minimum and I hope that between us we will do a better job in less time.’
- ‘I have to go into school tomorrow to climb a mountain of marking and paperwork, but no kids.’
- ‘The survey showed paperwork and bureaucracy as the biggest causes of stress for teachers and school managers.’
- 1.1 Written documents such as forms, records, or letters.
documents, certificates, forms, letters, files, deeds, records, dossiers, diaries, archives, legal papers, documentationView synonyms
- ‘The best course of action is to ensure your paperwork is all present and correct at the time of submission.’
- ‘Contractors returning to consultancy work should make sure they've got their paperwork in order.’
- ‘So next week they will go through routine paperwork, sign up to a code of conduct and even get e-mail addresses.’
- ‘When staff turned up early the next day there was no sign the work had been done or that paperwork had been completed.’
- ‘Campbell was also ruled to have distributed paperwork purporting to be internal party documents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.