One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, heavy object for keeping loose papers in place.
- ‘Hand-blown glass pieces such as flowers, snowmen, ornaments, paperweights, bowls and vases will be available for a range of prices.’
- ‘Derek picked up one of his mother's paperweights from the table: a glass bird trapped inside a glass bubble, trying to peck its way free.’
- ‘Books can function as doorstops, paperweights, hiding places for some valuables, platforms for balancing a teacup on or props for broken chairs or tables.’
- ‘Common gifts were jewels, gloves, silk stockings, flowers, garters, handkerchiefs, and paperweights.’
- ‘The tools of calligraphy include accessories such as penholders, brush pots, ink boxes, paperweights, seals and seal boxes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.