One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A leopard, especially a black one.
- ‘The Tirupati zoo has six panthers, four lionesses, three tigers and also two white tigers for public viewing.’
- ‘Using bears, monkeys, tigers, panthers and lions in circuses is not only cruel, but also in violation of a 1998 Central Government notification, which was upheld in May 2001 by the Supreme Court.’
- ‘Nocturnal animals like panthers, owls, porcupines, snakes, lizards, night czars, deer, etc., inhabit the region.’
- ‘Thus, you get the flora and fauna of both - tigers, panthers, wild boar and pythons tread the same tracks as reindeer, wolves and sables.’
- ‘Two-thirds of the sightings involved large black animals resembling melanistic leopards, also known as panthers.’
- ‘On the page was a drawing of a large black cat, presumably a panther.’
- ‘It covered four million acres with some of the purest water in the world and was home to more than 40 indigenous plants and 300 species of birds, plus black bears, panthers, and gray foxes.’
- ‘At Sri Venkateswara Zoological Park in Tirupati, lions and panthers sauntered in their enclosures in search of a cool shade while elephants basked for most part of the day in little ponds.’
- ‘MANY WILDLIFE enthusiasts trek into the rainforest in the western ghats to spot elephants tigers, panthers and a variety of birds.’
- ‘The Himalayan region is home to elephant, deer, panther, wild ass, buffalo and snow leopards.’
- 1.1North American A large American wild cat with a plain tawny to grayish coat, found from Canada to Patagonia.
- ‘I have a treasure chest of fond memories burned into my brain, like the time in 1982 when I spotted a female Florida panther walking down a levy in the Big Cypress Swamp of south Florida.’
- ‘Another animal backed into a corner of its ancestral range and feeling the pressures of climate change is the endangered Florida panther.’
- ‘The cats were getting their own places, too, a savanna for the lions and grottoes with pools for the panthers and tigers.’
- ‘The study team also found that the hybrid cats moved into sections of the Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve, wild areas in south Forida once thought unsuitable for panthers.’
- ‘Compounding the raccoon problem is the fact that the normal predator/prey balance of the coastal ecosystem has been disrupted by the elimination of red wolves and panthers, which once preyed on raccoons, by human activity.’
- ‘Mountain lions are known by more than 100 names, including panther, catamount, cougar, painter and puma.’
- ‘United States Population Facts and Figures focuses on the impact of population growth and land use on such native species as grizzlies and Florida panthers.’
- ‘We haven't seen a Florida panther, an endangered species that has been reportedly sighted in the reserve, but we are more than content with ‘our’ bobcat.’
- ‘Perhaps other animals will find their home again at St. Sebastian Preserve; the panther, for one, and the Florida black bear.’
- ‘Cougars are also known as mountain lions, panthers, and pumas.’
- ‘The loss of Cypress, a female Florida panther, made news because of the rarity of the species.’
- ‘Many beautiful big cat species, including the ocelot, lynx, Florida panther, and American jaguar, are in serious danger.’
- ‘Known by many names - puma, cougar, catamount, panther - this large feline predator was once wide-spread throughout much of North America.’
- ‘Even charismatic American wildlife such as the Florida panther, now with only 60 adults remaining in the wild, are in real danger of vanishing forever unless we act.’
Middle English: from Old French pantere, from Latin panthera, from Greek panthēr. In Latin, pardus ‘leopard’ also existed; the two terms led to confusion: until the mid 19th century many taxonomists regarded the panther and the leopard as separate species.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.