A kind of spiced apple pie baked in a deep dish.
- ‘From Canada to Texas, you will find a crisp, a crunch, a grunt, a brown betty, a buckle and even a pandowdy.’
- ‘Grunts are cousins of all kinds of other fruit desserts with CRAZY names: cobblers, crisps, betties, clafoutis, pandowdies, buckles.’
- ‘Weil's recipes for unfussy summer desserts like easy blackberry cobbler, juicy peach pandowdy, and warm blueberry grunt leave no excuse for not taking advantage of summer fruit at its peak.’
- ‘Lightly sweetened peaches peek through the top crust in this adorable pandowdy.’
- ‘Apple Pandowdy is one of a family of simple desserts, known in different parts of the world as cobblers, duffs, grunts, slumps and pandowdies.’
Of unknown origin.