One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tropical tree or shrub that has a twisted and branched stem, stilt roots, spiral tufts of long, narrow, typically spiny leaves, and fibrous edible fruit.
Genus Pandanus, family PandanaceaeAlso called screw pine
- ‘In addition to twigs, the crows manufacture tools from long and barbed leaves of the pandanus tree.’
- ‘This rampart is now colonized by coconut palms, pandanus, and breadfruit trees, and I like to sit here in the late after-noons and watch the sea rolling ashore.’
- ‘We set off in a crocodile through the pandanus palms and bankshia trees.’
- ‘An even smaller tropical island than Sipadan, Lankayan is covered with lush vegetation, including casuarina trees and the ubiquitous pandan screw pines.’
- ‘Photographers made use of the pandanus to lend striking silhouettes to black and white photographs of Reef twilight.’
- 1.1 Fiber from the leaves of the pandanus, or material woven from this fiber.
- ‘A few houses of local materials, with pandanus thatch sides and thatched roofs, still exist.’
- ‘We sat on pandanus mats on the lino floor and talked about Britain and Samoa.’
- ‘The woman was preparing pandanus and plaiting it.’
- ‘The entries reveal the use of a rich variety of media and materials including photomontage, ceramics, recycled wire, dugong bone, bronze, feathers, pandanus fibre, and works on paper, bark and canvas.’
- ‘Put palm sugar, pandan (tied in a knot) and water in a saucepan.’
- ‘Just looking at it made me happy, from the glossy little banana chips and minimalist knot of pandan leaf on top, from the chaste green sweep of banana-leaf wrapping, to the shiny gold circle on which the pastry sits.’
- ‘After cooking in syrup, the cakes are soaked in a mixture called rabri - cream plus thickened fresh milk, flavoured with pandanus.’
- ‘The whole village built of pandanus and grass looked as if it were about to founder in the sea of mud.’
Modern Latin, from Malay pandan.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.