One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fungal disease of bananas producing yellowing and wilting of the leaves.
The fungus is a form of Fusarium oxysporum, subdivision Deuteromycotina
- ‘Both major banana companies ultimately overcame the problem of Panama disease by planting banana varieties that had been cultivated for centuries in Southeast Asia.’
- ‘In the early part of the decade, Panama disease plagued the banana crops.’
- ‘The two most dangerous diseases are Panama disease and Sigatoka.’
- ‘Eventually, disease-resistant varieties came into common use and Panama disease is no longer a major commercial threat.’
- ‘Then Panama disease, a soil fungus, attacked banana plantations and the genetically enfeebled Gros Michel banana was virtually wiped out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.