One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle or advocacy of political alliance or union of all the Arab states.
- ‘But then it had this early phase which was a kind of pan-Arabism where they instinctively appealed to the rest of the Arab world to rescue them.’
- ‘Palestinian nationalism has had a shifting relationship to Arab nationalism and pan-Arabism.’
- ‘Over the past decade, an immense contradiction has become evident between the ideals of pan-Arabism and pan-Islam on the one hand and efforts at state strengthening on the other.’
- ‘The pan-Arabism and socialist pretensions of the era have left only a few decaying fragments.’
- ‘This pan-Arabism died on the battlefields of the 1967 Arab-Israeli War.’
- ‘The Arab bourgeoisie has abandoned the espousal of pan-Arabism in favour of preserving their own peculiar interests.’
- ‘In this respect, it differs with the policies of the Muslim Brothers, who put religion before politics and Islam as a political objective before pan-Arabism.’
- ‘The nascent party's ideology emphasized pan-Arabism, nationalism, and a form of socialism.’
- ‘In those days it went under a variety of different labels: anti-imperialism, anti-Zionism, Arab socialism, pan-Arabism.’
- ‘It abandoned its previous advocacy of pan-Arabism for an Iraqi nationalism centered on the interests of the Sunni elite of the north.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.