Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principle or advocacy of political alliance or union of all the Arab states.
- ‘In those days it went under a variety of different labels: anti-imperialism, anti-Zionism, Arab socialism, pan-Arabism.’
- ‘But then it had this early phase which was a kind of pan-Arabism where they instinctively appealed to the rest of the Arab world to rescue them.’
- ‘It abandoned its previous advocacy of pan-Arabism for an Iraqi nationalism centered on the interests of the Sunni elite of the north.’
- ‘This pan-Arabism died on the battlefields of the 1967 Arab-Israeli War.’
- ‘The Arab bourgeoisie has abandoned the espousal of pan-Arabism in favour of preserving their own peculiar interests.’
- ‘The pan-Arabism and socialist pretensions of the era have left only a few decaying fragments.’
- ‘Over the past decade, an immense contradiction has become evident between the ideals of pan-Arabism and pan-Islam on the one hand and efforts at state strengthening on the other.’
- ‘The nascent party's ideology emphasized pan-Arabism, nationalism, and a form of socialism.’
- ‘In this respect, it differs with the policies of the Muslim Brothers, who put religion before politics and Islam as a political objective before pan-Arabism.’
- ‘Palestinian nationalism has had a shifting relationship to Arab nationalism and pan-Arabism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.