One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The principle or advocacy of political alliance or union of all the Arab states.
- ‘In this respect, it differs with the policies of the Muslim Brothers, who put religion before politics and Islam as a political objective before pan-Arabism.’
- ‘But then it had this early phase which was a kind of pan-Arabism where they instinctively appealed to the rest of the Arab world to rescue them.’
- ‘Palestinian nationalism has had a shifting relationship to Arab nationalism and pan-Arabism.’
- ‘It abandoned its previous advocacy of pan-Arabism for an Iraqi nationalism centered on the interests of the Sunni elite of the north.’
- ‘The pan-Arabism and socialist pretensions of the era have left only a few decaying fragments.’
- ‘The nascent party's ideology emphasized pan-Arabism, nationalism, and a form of socialism.’
- ‘The Arab bourgeoisie has abandoned the espousal of pan-Arabism in favour of preserving their own peculiar interests.’
- ‘Over the past decade, an immense contradiction has become evident between the ideals of pan-Arabism and pan-Islam on the one hand and efforts at state strengthening on the other.’
- ‘In those days it went under a variety of different labels: anti-imperialism, anti-Zionism, Arab socialism, pan-Arabism.’
- ‘This pan-Arabism died on the battlefields of the 1967 Arab-Israeli War.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.