One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A noticeably rapid, strong, or irregular heartbeat due to agitation, exertion, or illness.
reverberation, resonance, throbbing, throb, vibrating, pulsation, pulsing, rumbling, rumble, beating, beat, drumming, drum, thumping, thump, thrumming, thrum, pounding, pound, palpitatingView synonyms
- ‘Vertigo may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting and dizziness, as well as palpitations and sweating.’
- ‘It can also be useful in determining the cause of fainting, dizziness or palpitations.’
- ‘Some of the women reported feeling faint or dizzy, having heart palpitations, or having feelings of nausea.’
- ‘Hyperventilation, palpitations, fear, and anxiety are unreliable diagnostic criteria, as these cases demonstrate.’
- ‘Heart palpitations are the sensation of an irregular rapid or slow beat in the heart.’
- ‘Others reported a loss of appetite, insomnia, digestive upsets, palpitations, headaches, and muscular aches and pains.’
- ‘No specific cause of the palpitations could be identified in 16 percent of the patients.’
- ‘Syncope associated with exertion or palpitations suggests cardiac causes.’
- ‘Nine years later, she was admitted to the hospital because of palpitations.’
- ‘I have had a number of patients in my practice that had their first episode of rapid heart action and palpitation during pregnancy.’
- ‘However they may lead to palpitations, which is an unpleasant awareness of the heartbeat, often described as a thumping in the chest.’
- ‘A 34 year old man with a history of migraine presented with palpitations after taking sumatriptan by nasal spray for a severe headache.’
- ‘Most patients have only mild symptoms, such as palpitations or the sensation that their heart is beating rapidly.’
- ‘Most of the time, palpitations and irregular heartbeats are harmless.’
- ‘Extreme anxiety can cause giddiness, heart palpitations, headaches or stomach disorders.’
- ‘These conditions can predispose the patient to arrhythmia and to palpitations.’
- ‘Heart palpitations and cardiac arrhythmias are common problems encountered by family physicians.’
- ‘For symptoms such as insomnia, amnesia, nightmares, rapid heart palpitations and night sweats.’
- ‘Then I told my physician I had been having some minor heart palpitations.’
- ‘Patients may feel palpitations or a thump in the chest when a beat compensates for a prior missed beat.’
Late Middle English: from Latin palpitatio(n-), from the verb palpitare (see palpitate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.