One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is supposedly able to predict someone's future by interpreting the lines on the palms of their hands.‘a palm reader told her she would have two children’
- ‘Sister Charlotte, a crystal ball, tarot card and palm reader, claimed to be able to solve problems in love, marriage, business, exams and even immigration.’
- ‘In her extended commune with mediums, stage psychics, hypnotists, Tarot readers, mentalists, magicians, Indian swamis and palm readers, she became desperate for a Delphic moment of illumination.’
- ‘We are all familiar with the palm readers who can tell how long you will live by the length of the life-line on your hand.’
- ‘"The palm reader said my husband would leave me."’
- ‘When her daughter wishes to marry Lord Arthur Savile, she hires palm reader Mr Podger to see what his Lordship's future holds.’
- ‘In his mentalist act, Steiner pretends he's an astrologer, a tarot card reader, a palm reader, or a psychic.’
- ‘If a palm reader or soothsayer had collared me and told me what was to come, I would have giggled into their faces.’
- ‘The key to a successful cold reading is the willingness, ability, and effort of the client to find meaning and significance in the words of the psychic, astrologer, palm reader, medium, or the like.’
- ‘There were wandering minstrels, jugglers, palm readers, and artisans selling every kind of homemade item you could think of.’
- ‘He begins to question his raison d'être when an amateur palm reader tells him he has "murderer's thumb."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.