Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is supposedly able to predict someone's future by interpreting the lines on the palms of their hands.‘a palm reader told her she would have two children’
- ‘The key to a successful cold reading is the willingness, ability, and effort of the client to find meaning and significance in the words of the psychic, astrologer, palm reader, medium, or the like.’
- ‘In his mentalist act, Steiner pretends he's an astrologer, a tarot card reader, a palm reader, or a psychic.’
- ‘We are all familiar with the palm readers who can tell how long you will live by the length of the life-line on your hand.’
- ‘He begins to question his raison d'être when an amateur palm reader tells him he has "murderer's thumb."’
- ‘If a palm reader or soothsayer had collared me and told me what was to come, I would have giggled into their faces.’
- ‘When her daughter wishes to marry Lord Arthur Savile, she hires palm reader Mr Podger to see what his Lordship's future holds.’
- ‘"The palm reader said my husband would leave me."’
- ‘There were wandering minstrels, jugglers, palm readers, and artisans selling every kind of homemade item you could think of.’
- ‘In her extended commune with mediums, stage psychics, hypnotists, Tarot readers, mentalists, magicians, Indian swamis and palm readers, she became desperate for a Delphic moment of illumination.’
- ‘Sister Charlotte, a crystal ball, tarot card and palm reader, claimed to be able to solve problems in love, marriage, business, exams and even immigration.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.