Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The art or practice of supposedly interpreting a person's character or predicting their future by examining the palm of their hand.
fortune telling, palm-reading, clairvoyancy, chiromancyView synonyms
- ‘She claimed to able to diagnose medical conditions by palm-reading.’
- ‘I gradually added tricks such as palm reading and was bowled over by how people reacted, amazed at my accuracy.’
- ‘While in high school, Hyman was originally doubtful about the validity of palm reading.’
- ‘This sobering experience persuaded him that the "success" of palm reading had nothing to do with the correctness of the interpretations.’
- ‘Ancient Egyptians, Sumerians and Babylonians have also been hailed as the originators of palm-reading.’
- ‘I really wish my mother hadn't told me that Bharat had enquired as to whether I was single before our palm-reading session.’
- ‘The temples are run like mini theme parks where faux monks are more interested in asking visitors to part with cash for trinkets and palm-reading.’
- ‘While mentioning a couple of criticisms of palm reading, the article is essentially uncritical.’
- ‘The city is one of North America's premier New Age meccas, with dozens of crystal emporiums, palm-reading parlors, and overpriced bed and breakfasts lining what is one of the tackiest main streets in the country.’
- ‘Within months of my entry into palm reading, I became a staunch believer in its validity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.