Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The art or practice of supposedly interpreting a person's character or predicting their future by examining the palm of their hand.
fortune telling, palm-reading, clairvoyancy, chiromancyView synonyms
- ‘Within months of my entry into palm reading, I became a staunch believer in its validity.’
- ‘I really wish my mother hadn't told me that Bharat had enquired as to whether I was single before our palm-reading session.’
- ‘The city is one of North America's premier New Age meccas, with dozens of crystal emporiums, palm-reading parlors, and overpriced bed and breakfasts lining what is one of the tackiest main streets in the country.’
- ‘Ancient Egyptians, Sumerians and Babylonians have also been hailed as the originators of palm-reading.’
- ‘I gradually added tricks such as palm reading and was bowled over by how people reacted, amazed at my accuracy.’
- ‘While mentioning a couple of criticisms of palm reading, the article is essentially uncritical.’
- ‘While in high school, Hyman was originally doubtful about the validity of palm reading.’
- ‘The temples are run like mini theme parks where faux monks are more interested in asking visitors to part with cash for trinkets and palm-reading.’
- ‘She claimed to able to diagnose medical conditions by palm-reading.’
- ‘This sobering experience persuaded him that the "success" of palm reading had nothing to do with the correctness of the interpretations.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.