Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the era between the Precambrian eon and the Mesozoic era.Formerly called "Primary"
- ‘In addition to the dominant Precambrian and Paleozoic rocks, there are small deposits of Mesozoic rocks on the island as well.’
- ‘The studied sequence at the transition to the axial zone in NE Sardinia is estimated to have a Precambrian to Palaeozoic age.’
- ‘This tectonostratigraphy contains metamorphic rocks of both early Palaeozoic and Precambrian age with metamorphic grade generally increasing to the west.’
- ‘Pre-Aptian structure reflects both Palaeozoic rifting and Mesozoic modification.’
- ‘Rocks of late Precambrian and early Paleozoic age have yielded a variety of tiny spine-like fossils of dominantly organic or weakly phosphatic composition.’
- ‘Cliffs forming the margins of rifts are thought to have developed in this way, with retreat occurring since the Late Cretaceous in Precambrian to Palaeozoic rocks.’
- ‘To the west of Siberia is the very large early Mesozoic and later Western Siberian Basin, which covers the Palaeozoic rocks and their sutures.’
- ‘This idea is difficult to test, because data on Palaeozoic and Precambrian facies trends and structures are limited.’
- ‘Under a thin Jurassic conglomerate a Palaeozoic succession of interbedded reddened sandstone, mudstone and basalt was preserved.’
- ‘The Anatolian region has been formed by the amalgamation of smaller continental fragments that were formerly sited at the northern margin of Gondwana during late Palaeozoic and early Mesozoic times.’
- 1.1as noun the Paleozoic The Paleozoic era or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 19th century: from paleo- + Greek zōē ‘life’ + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.