A stratum or soil horizon that was formed as a soil in a past geological period.
- ‘Mottling is present within the upper and lower horizons of the palaeosols.’
- ‘It may be argued that this approach is compromised by climatic differences noted here between palaeosols and surface soils.’
- ‘Above these sedimentary rocks is a sequence of interbedded alluvial floodplain deposits and palaeosols.’
- ‘These are not features of modern soil formation because these palaeosols were on steep slopes and excavated to improve exposure.’
- ‘Uniformitarians believe that paleosols (ancient soil horizons) are common throughout the stratigraphic record.’