The study of ancient writing systems and the deciphering and dating of historical manuscripts.
- ‘In the case of the Arabic sources, a good command of paleography is required since many of them are still in manuscript form and transcribed in different regional scriptural traditions.’
- ‘To do so, she learned Italian and Latin, and studied paleography.’
- ‘Historical interpretation of medieval English documents and records requires a reading knowledge of Latin and French and training in philology, paleography, and diplomatics, as well as in history.’
- ‘Scholars and scoundrels, judges and jackasses have fiddled with its diplomatics, paleography, translation, interpretation, and application.’
- ‘No direct evidence reveals either its date or place of origin, which can only be suggested on grounds of style, iconography, and paleography.’