One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of ancient writing systems and the deciphering and dating of historical manuscripts.
- ‘Scholars and scoundrels, judges and jackasses have fiddled with its diplomatics, paleography, translation, interpretation, and application.’
- ‘Historical interpretation of medieval English documents and records requires a reading knowledge of Latin and French and training in philology, paleography, and diplomatics, as well as in history.’
- ‘No direct evidence reveals either its date or place of origin, which can only be suggested on grounds of style, iconography, and paleography.’
- ‘To do so, she learned Italian and Latin, and studied paleography.’
- ‘In the case of the Arabic sources, a good command of paleography is required since many of them are still in manuscript form and transcribed in different regional scriptural traditions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.