Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white New Zealander, as opposed to a Maori.
- ‘The latest New Zealand Census-Mortality Study shows that Maori die younger than pakeha, even after controlling for socioeconomic status.’
- ‘Haast named the pass after himself and claimed to be the first pakeha to have travelled through it, but the discovery of Cameron's flask discredited this claim.’
- ‘In the same speech he uttered the weighty words ‘Maori and pakeha are both indigenous people to New Zealand now‘.’
- ‘I am still in a dilemma of how, as a pakeha, to present this relationship and history.’
- ‘So it's a mystery why, unique in the world, some European New Zealanders refer to themselves as pakehas - an insulting name originally applied by the Maoris to the fair-skinned Imperialists who were in the process of conquering them!‘.’
- ‘He ignores all the advantages pakeha have inherited: wealth and land, and also dominance, confidence, privilege, and a society that is set up to convenience us.’
Relating to white New Zealanders and their languages and culture.
- ‘Maori families are larger than those of the pakeha, or white, population.’
- ‘Her ideas were both challenging and threatening to many pakeha New Zealanders who were, and are, often ignorant of the country's history and fearful of difference.’
- ‘From what friends and family tell me this has split the Maori and pakeha camps and is causing bitter resentment.’
- ‘His book details his family's land battles, his brother's notorious murder charge and his uneasy existence in a two-sided world (born of a Maori father and a pakeha mother).’
- ‘There were storytellers on both the Maori and the pakeha sides of my family.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.