One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A peasant of Spanish or Italian ethnic origin.
bumpkin, country bumpkin, country cousin, rustic, countryman, countrywoman, country dweller, daughter of the soil, son of the soil, peasant, provincial, oaf, lout, boor, barbarianView synonyms
- ‘The novel focuses upon the paisanos of the Monterey area, paralleling their lives with those of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table.’
- ‘In the back is a colourful mural depicting paisanos at work on a street that seems to be paved with tortillas.’
- ‘That is, subgroups of Huejuquillenses maintain high degrees of social interaction, sometimes translated into solidarities with their fellow paisanos, depending on the familial or quasi-familial ties that bound them.’
- ‘He is decidedly sympathetic to Native Americans, paisanos (Spanish and Mexican laborers), and other working classes.’
- ‘Most of the studies on Mexican immigrants in the United States have focused on paisano communities with relatively high degrees of formal organization, usually called ‘clubs.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.