Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small American freshwater turtle with a smooth patterned shell.
- ‘The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.’
- ‘We have been studying a population of painted turtles on the Mississippi River for the last 16 years.’
- ‘We collected five clutches of painted turtle eggs during June 2004.’
- ‘In freshwater turtles also, multiple paternity has been found in every species examined, including wood turtles, snapping turtles, giant Amazon sideneck turtles, and painted turtles.’
- ‘As part of a comprehensive study of the effects of landscape change on the demography of painted turtles, we examined terrestrial habitat use by female painted turtles during the nesting season.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.