A small American freshwater turtle with a smooth patterned shell.
- ‘The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.’
- ‘In freshwater turtles also, multiple paternity has been found in every species examined, including wood turtles, snapping turtles, giant Amazon sideneck turtles, and painted turtles.’
- ‘We have been studying a population of painted turtles on the Mississippi River for the last 16 years.’
- ‘We collected five clutches of painted turtle eggs during June 2004.’
- ‘As part of a comprehensive study of the effects of landscape change on the demography of painted turtles, we examined terrestrial habitat use by female painted turtles during the nesting season.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.