Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Done with or employing great care and thoroughness.‘painstaking attention to detail’‘he is a gentle, painstaking man’
careful, meticulous, thorough, assiduous, sedulous, attentive, diligent, industrious, laborious, hard-working, conscientious, ultra-careful, punctilious, scrupulous, demanding, exacting, searching, close, elaborate, minute, accurate, correct, studious, rigorous, particularreligious, strictpedantic, fussyView synonyms
- ‘He has a worldwide patent on the unique vehicle, now at its prototype stage after two and a half years of painstaking research.’
- ‘The officers then begin the painstaking job of searching the house for drugs and stolen property.’
- ‘Lots of painstaking research work went before we came up with the design.’
- ‘The training was with painstaking precision and hard work was expected of all of us.’
- ‘The foxy-coloured glazes had been applied with painstaking attention to detail.’
- ‘Although one has to admire the painstaking attention to detail in keeping the scaffold holes.’
- ‘Forensic experts yesterday continued the painstaking search for clues to the London bombers.’
- ‘His technique shows a painstaking attention to detail in a labour-intensive process.’
- ‘Besides, tons of hard work, painstaking efforts and perseverance are required.’
- ‘It took almost a decade of meticulous and painstaking work to empty the tomb of Tutankhamen.’
- ‘Yesterday forensic experts continued their painstaking search for clues at the pensioner's home.’
- ‘It is a historical document showing the author's painstaking research and narrative skills.’
- ‘Bringing such a collection to life took months of painstaking research and development.’
- ‘However, all her painstaking attention to detail ended up being slightly derailed.’
- ‘Instead art students using all sorts of craft normally do it with painstaking care.’
- ‘The secret of good tiling is painstaking preparation and accurate cutting and fixing.’
- ‘He then set about a thorough and painstaking exploration of what an orchestral work of the late 20th century might be.’
- ‘Compulsive working out at the gym is common, as is painstaking attention to diet and dietary supplements.’
- ‘After a year of painstaking scientific research, the world's funniest joke was revealed on yesterday.’
- ‘He warned that the investigation could prove to be a long haul as it would be thorough and painstaking.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.