Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drug or medicine for relieving pain.
analgesic, pain reliever, anodyne, anaesthetic, narcotic, embrocation, linimentpalliative, demulcentView synonyms
- ‘I pass a fine needle into that spinal fluid and deposit a combination of a local anaesthetic and a painkiller, morphine.’
- ‘People with viral meningitis need to rest and take painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.’
- ‘One of the first things that is often done by doctors is to give you a simple painkiller like paracetamol.’
- ‘For moderate pain, painkillers such as paracetamol may help to provide relief.’
- ‘You may have some minor pain and headache, which can be treated using simple painkillers.’
- ‘As the anaesthetic wears off, there may be some abdominal pain, and painkillers may be required.’
- ‘She takes a range of drugs including painkillers and has gold injections at the hospital.’
- ‘If the sunburn is severe, you may need painkillers such as paracetamol or antihistamines.’
- ‘This includes the use of antibiotics to fight infections and painkillers to deal with pain.’
- ‘It may be necessary for you to take painkillers for about 24 hours to give the antibiotics time to work.’
- ‘The jaw may feel stiff and sore, but painkillers will help to relieve discomfort.’
- ‘Until a year ago he was on a cocktail of drugs and painkillers and in constant agony.’
- ‘This discomfort can be relieved by taking painkillers that you would normally take for a headache.’
- ‘The morphine and assortment of drugs and painkillers kept her in a dream state for quite a while.’
- ‘Codeine is a good painkiller but, like any medicine, it is not free from side-effects.’
- ‘The specialist may prescribe stronger painkillers or other medication to help relieve the pain.’
- ‘The anaesthetist will prescribe painkillers for the first few days after the operation.’
- ‘The pain of shingles may be relieved by painkillers such as paracetamol.’
- ‘The knee may feel stiff and sore and painkillers may be needed to relieve the discomfort.’
- ‘Over-the-counter painkiller or anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen should reduce pain and swelling.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.