Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drug or a medicine for relieving pain.
analgesic, pain reliever, anodyne, anaesthetic, narcotic, embrocation, linimentView synonyms
- ‘The knee may feel stiff and sore and painkillers may be needed to relieve the discomfort.’
- ‘For moderate pain, painkillers such as paracetamol may help to provide relief.’
- ‘The anaesthetist will prescribe painkillers for the first few days after the operation.’
- ‘The specialist may prescribe stronger painkillers or other medication to help relieve the pain.’
- ‘People with viral meningitis need to rest and take painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.’
- ‘Over-the-counter painkiller or anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen should reduce pain and swelling.’
- ‘The jaw may feel stiff and sore, but painkillers will help to relieve discomfort.’
- ‘She takes a range of drugs including painkillers and has gold injections at the hospital.’
- ‘As the anaesthetic wears off, there may be some abdominal pain, and painkillers may be required.’
- ‘Codeine is a good painkiller but, like any medicine, it is not free from side-effects.’
- ‘I pass a fine needle into that spinal fluid and deposit a combination of a local anaesthetic and a painkiller, morphine.’
- ‘The morphine and assortment of drugs and painkillers kept her in a dream state for quite a while.’
- ‘One of the first things that is often done by doctors is to give you a simple painkiller like paracetamol.’
- ‘You may have some minor pain and headache, which can be treated using simple painkillers.’
- ‘This includes the use of antibiotics to fight infections and painkillers to deal with pain.’
- ‘Until a year ago he was on a cocktail of drugs and painkillers and in constant agony.’
- ‘It may be necessary for you to take painkillers for about 24 hours to give the antibiotics time to work.’
- ‘This discomfort can be relieved by taking painkillers that you would normally take for a headache.’
- ‘If the sunburn is severe, you may need painkillers such as paracetamol or antihistamines.’
- ‘The pain of shingles may be relieved by painkillers such as paracetamol.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.