One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The point beyond which a stimulus causes pain.
- ‘The pressure pain threshold was higher after dronabinol treatment than after placebo treatment.’
- ‘Cold increases the pain threshold, the viscosity, and the plastic deformation of tissues but decreases motor performance.’
- ‘These endorphins act as a powerful analgesic, helping to elevate the pain threshold and aid in relieving aches.’
- ‘Elevating the pain threshold is extremely important in training a sprinter.’
- 1.1 The upper limit of tolerance to pain.
- ‘This situation leads to lower pain thresholds and shorter tolerance times.’
- ‘Some people with a high pain threshold won't be doubled over.’
- ‘I haven't seen or heard anyone - not here, but ever in my life - say they have a low pain threshold or low tolerance.’
- ‘In the current study, active attentional distraction had a significant effect on pain threshold and tolerance among men but not among women.’
- ‘Mr. Peacock described Mr. Winter as being very intolerant when it comes to pain and as having a low pain threshold.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.