One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- French term for French toast
- ‘French onion soup with Mull cheddar followed by Scottish beef with celeriac gratin are supremely tasty as a starter and main course, while a delicious pudding is pain perdu - which translates as ‘lost bread’.’
- ‘The new manager had better realise the reality of his job - succeed every season or he will be le pain perdu, as they say in his homeland.’
- ‘Ditto the eggy brioche pain perdu, which I enjoyed one evening with banana ice cream, some poached rhubarb, and a dollop of crème fraîche.’
- ‘My ice creams, like the smoked bacon with pain perdu, are formulaically created to get the right levels of solids in them to stop crystallisation.’
- ‘Looking at the la carte dessert menu featuring delights like pain perdu, pistachio mousse and quince sorbet, I can't believe they wouldn't be fine.’
French, literally ‘lost bread’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.