One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- French term for French toast
- ‘French onion soup with Mull cheddar followed by Scottish beef with celeriac gratin are supremely tasty as a starter and main course, while a delicious pudding is pain perdu - which translates as ‘lost bread’.’
- ‘Ditto the eggy brioche pain perdu, which I enjoyed one evening with banana ice cream, some poached rhubarb, and a dollop of crème fraîche.’
- ‘Looking at the la carte dessert menu featuring delights like pain perdu, pistachio mousse and quince sorbet, I can't believe they wouldn't be fine.’
- ‘The new manager had better realise the reality of his job - succeed every season or he will be le pain perdu, as they say in his homeland.’
- ‘My ice creams, like the smoked bacon with pain perdu, are formulaically created to get the right levels of solids in them to stop crystallisation.’
French, literally ‘lost bread’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.