One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Basaltic lava forming smooth undulating or ropy masses.Often contrasted with aa
- ‘The upper flow unit is well exposed in the Prospect Park quarry and is made up of three types of lava flow structures: massive, columnar basalt, subaqueous, pahoehoe flow lobes, and bedded pillow lava.’
- ‘Herding cattle and galloping horses across rough a'a lava fields and smoother pahoehoe takes a special kind of cowboy-the Kona paniolo.’
- ‘Back up above-ground, trek across the surreal terrain that resembles a moon crater and examine the different types of Hawaiian lava: pahoehoe, which has a smooth and ropey surface, and a'a, which resembles stirred up brownies.’
- ‘In the summer, pahoehoe makes for fairly easy hiking, but not a'a.’
- ‘Lazarus leapt from the pahoehoe and landed next to his guide, leaning against the volcano for a moment.’
Mid 19th century: from Hawaiian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.