One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A godfather or patron.
- ‘Godparents, or padrinos, may also play an important role, helping with tuition or assisting the family in other ways.’
- ‘Sometimes padrinos, or godparents, of the celebrant from the same locale but of higher social standing participate in the event.’
- ‘For example, consistent with the cultural value of familismo, Hispanics often rely on padrinos and members of the extended family for emotional and financial support.’
- ‘Each person must go to her respective padrinos in search of directions.’
- ‘The great man was known as the patronus, or padrino in Italian, conventionally translated as ‘godfather’.’
- 1.1 A best man at a wedding.
- ‘So a couple months ago, Mercy and I were asked by our friends Davíd and Dariza, to be the padrino and madrina in their wedding.’
- ‘I have been asked to be Padrino (best man) at a young man's wedding that I have been helping.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.