Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small pleasure boat driven by pedals that in turn drive a paddle wheel.
- ‘The fleet of six human-powered passenger paddleboats in a Swan motif began to shuttle passengers around the Public Garden Lagoon on April 16 at a leisurely two miles per hour.’
- ‘Patrons are just as willing to take a paddleboat out on a lava lake as they were to go on a flume ride when it's zero degrees out and snowing.’
- ‘We were going to go for a paddleboat ride on the lake, but they were closed, so we just sat by the side of the lake and relaxed, before going to the airport, where I was to fly out of Canberra.’
- ‘We join them in their rented paddleboat and head out into the Adriatic sea until we reach a point where we are surrounded by jellyfish.’
- ‘The amusement parks there offer great entertainment by way of kiddy rides, paddleboats, wooden roller coaster rides, etc.’
- ‘A former rock quarry, the 65-acre park has a sand beach for swimming, or you can cool off in a paddleboat.’
- ‘They might want amusement, ranging from something as simple as a paddleboat to sophisticated theme bars and beach dance floors.’
- ‘We stopped at a park that had a lake for paddleboats and a baseball diamond on one side.’
- ‘At Mission Bay Park you can rent paddleboats, kayaks and sailboats or take the paved loop and get a great eyeball workout.’
- ‘In one scene, for instance, the woman and her dog are following behind a large ocean liner in their paddleboat.’
- ‘Take a paddleboat up the Chena River to an authentic Native village, where salmon, freshly caught in the fishing wheel, dry in the alder smokehouse.’
- ‘He hijacks a dilapidated paddleboat as the villagers gather supplies for the 300-mile river voyage.’
- ‘There are swan-shaped paddleboats, and locals dress as bunnies and love-sick cowboys.’
- ‘The massive Mississippi rolls along its side, the name evoking images of paddleboats and Huckleberry Finn.’
- ‘Then spend four days floating the Class III Rogue River, refining the skills you need to guide a private paddleboat or oar boat downstream.’
- ‘You won't find any pirate ships or a regularly scheduled volcano eruption, but guests can kayak or take out a paddleboat to explore the lake and its bays, some with new luxury homes, others thick with reeds and wildlife.’
- ‘The family decided to sell it, leaving behind the paddleboat, a rowboat, a riding lawnmower, several television sets, exercise equipment and lots of furniture.’
- ‘In addition to swimming and sunbathing here, guests may enjoy miniature golf, table tennis, volleyball, and paddleboats.’
- ‘Like many of them, the back half of the Nicholson's house belongs to their 23-foot Bayliner Cierra plus a paddleboat, some water toys and Jeanne's kayak.’
- ‘Cameron Lake was closed to all motorized watercraft, but did offer canoes, rowboats and paddleboats for rental.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.