One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A room in a psychiatric hospital with padding on the walls to prevent violent patients from injuring themselves.
- ‘Sgt King said police had to contain Parfitt in a padded cell because he was threatening to harm himself.’
- ‘Makeshift accommodation has been created on occasion in the prison sick bay and in padded cells designed for prisoners liable to self-harm.’
- ‘He has directed the Prison Service to replace padded cells with new safety cells.’
- ‘Thank goodness his friend turned up when she did otherwise he could have ended up in a padded cell.’
- ‘He said the Prison Service had no other option but to place prisoners with a serious mental illness in padded cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.