One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mode of data transmission in which a message is broken into a number of parts which are sent independently, over whatever route is optimum for each packet, and reassembled at the destination.Compare with message switching
- ‘Parks Associates predicts a boom in cable telephony as packet-switching technologies ‘revolutionize the telecommunication market.’’
- ‘The main difference between VoIP and the ordinary telephone network is that VoIP is based on packet switching like the rest of the Internet, while the latter is based on the circuit switching method.’
- ‘Its network uses packet switching to route calls, meaning voice data from the caller is chopped up into packets, sent, and then reassembled at the recipient's end.’
- ‘It was used to test new networking technologies - notably large scale packet switching, a then pioneering method of sending data across a network.’
- ‘You can think of this as the database equivalent of packet switching, in which a telephone line is shared among numerous parties by taking advantage of the fact that no one needs the line 100% of the time.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.