A method of broadcasting that makes use of radio signals carrying packets of data.
- ‘Bob Rouleau is one of the five hams who developed the Montreal Protocol in 1978, leading to the development of amateur packet radio.’
- ‘The service, known as general packet radio service is set to become available towards the end of this year and offers data transmission at 56,000 bps, more than five times quicker than present mobiles.’
- ‘The rollout of general packet radio services is aimed at substantially reducing the connection time.’
- ‘Nokia last month started selling its first handset that supports general packet radio service, which lets users be constantly linked to the Web.’
- ‘Digital wireless communities have existed since the days of amateur packet radio (ham radio), in three well-defined categories.’