One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Nineteenth century empires calculated they needed two - and - a - half times the troops for pacification as for battlefield victory.’
- ‘Very soon after the initial pacification of the country and the onset of humanitarian relief and economic reconstruction, the task of political reconstruction must begin.’
- ‘As part of the pacification of the Highlands after the collapse of the Jacobite rising of 1689-90 a royal order required all clan chieftains to take an oath of allegiance to William and Mary.’
- ‘The disputes in this island in the mid-1980s were becoming increasingly violent and initial attempts at pacifications had ended in failure.’
- ‘It is obvious that warfighting objectives are different from stabilization tasks and therefore the deployment of troops should be done in the knowledge that pacification requires a wider presence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.