Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The third stage of the prophase of meiosis, following zygotene, during which the paired chromosomes shorten and thicken, the two chromatids of each separate, and exchange of segments between chromatids may occur.
- ‘In addition, Creighton used pachytene stage chromosomes to continue deletion mapping studies.’
- ‘This structural heterozygosity correlates with both a previously described recombination block and cytologically visible unpaired chromosomes at pachytene.’
- ‘Homologous chromosomes are fully aligned at the pachytene stage, and germ cells survive to complete meiosis and gametogenesis with high efficiency.’
- ‘During pachytene, the chromosomes are less condensed and much longer than in mitotic metaphases.’
- ‘Zygotene and pachytene chromosomes can be distinguished by their different morphology due to the extent of synapsis.’
Early 20th century: from Greek pakhus thick + tainia band.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.