Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A runner or competitor who sets the pace at the beginning of a race or competition, sometimes in order to help another runner break a record.
- ‘Northerly raced forwardly behind pacesetter Dash For Cash and was sent to the lead just before the home turn, a move that sealed the race.’
- ‘Ridden by Angel Castillo and trained by Julio Ayala, Paso Real came from well of the pace and caught pacesetter Danzig Prince Race, with less than one furlong to go for the win.’
- ‘Boston had been the only race in the World Marathon Majors series to prohibit pacesetters.’
- ‘Race favorite and early pacesetter Gilgames, faded badly once entering the stretch to finish last, beaten 35 1/4 lengths in a well spread out field of ten.’
- ‘Denisova, who finished second in New York this fall, is the women's pacesetter this year, meaning she will be tasked with giving Zakharova and the other contenders a target to chase on their way toward the winner's check.’
- 1.1 A person or organization viewed as taking the lead or setting standards of achievement for others.‘Alaska is the pacesetter when it comes to salaries for teachers’
- ‘Our coaches are now following with keen attention the performances of Soviet men gymnasts who are now in the lead, and the Soviet women have always been the pacesetters.’
- ‘A former musician himself, Souriall said that Hollywood Records has been a pacesetter among record companies which traditionally are sluggish in mining the fields of corporate relationships and sponsorships.’
- ‘The Brumbies scored four tries for a bonus point and are the pacesetters in the competition with fellow Australians the Waratahs.’
- ‘For America's newspapers, the New York Times is a pacesetter.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.