One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Thus if you start playing tennis or jogging, the pacer will sense the motion and up your heart rate, as it will when you get up close with a pretty girl.’
- ‘Ventricular burst stimulation may be delivered through a permanent pacer to terminate organized ventricular tachycardia (although this may prompt ventricular fibrillation so an external defibrillator must be at the ready).’
- ‘Sallie was going to be the next pacer, so she got ready for her twenty mile loop.’
- ‘Weight loss despite adequate calories suggests an overactive thyroid (a blood test is necessary), Parkinsonism, diabetes, or a hyperactive Alzheimer pacer.’
- ‘That day the pacer Allaboard Jules ran third in yet another cheap race at New Jersey's Freehold Raceway, maybe earning $300, not enough to meet the blacksmith's bills.’
- ‘Heretofore, technology itself was the pacer for developments.’
- ‘He was a pacer, particularly when nurturing an idea in its embryonic form.’
- ‘In my opinion you need to ask the pacer that you sign up with what his strategy is, as they often have different ideas about how to run the races, (and I am not disagreeing with Frank here, they are very experienced runners).’
- ‘Without the help and support of my pacers and my wife Carol, I could not have completed this challenge.’
- ‘Anyhow, it will be your doctor who decides what kind of pacer you need.’
2US A horse bred or trained to have a distinctive lateral gait in which both legs on the same side are lifted together, used in some types of racing.
- ‘He also raced one or two pacers at Addington Raceway.’
- ‘But it was something that perhaps wasn't as common originally, and so it was only really the selective breeding that increased the number of pacers to the extent where we actually have more pacers running around now than we do trotters.’
- ‘Now this weekend, the Inter Dominion harness racing championship winds up with the pacer's Grand Final, this year worth a record prize money of a million dollars.’
- ‘‘It is a little less competitive with the trotters compared to pacers,’ she said.’
- ‘Pacing is faster than trotting, which is why pacers and trotters run separately in harness racing’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.